Document MSC 1. MtScript/Overview.
MtScript is a multi-lingual text editor, developed within the MULTEXT project, which provides facilities for creating and saving files in a wide variety of languages and corresponding character sets. MtScript provides the following main capabilities:
- the use of several different writing systems (Latin, Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) in the same document;
- interspersing left-to-right and right-to-left writing systems
(e.g. : );
- explicit association of portions of a text with a particular language;
- the definition of user-modifiable writing rules for each language;
- use of a standard keyboard for any language and character set;
- co-mingling of one-byte and multiple-byte character sets (ISO 8859 series, GB_2312_80, BIG_5, JISX0208, KSC5601).
MtScript has been developed on Sun Workstations using X-Windows, Unix, C, and Tcl/Tk. A compiled alpha version (v1.1) is available for Sun Sparc stations under Solaris 1.x or 2.x, and for Linux (Intel). Note that this version still has bugs and limitations. Your feedback is welcome.
| MtScript home page
Copyright © Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 1996.